Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Scary

You know it's scary sometimes when things are going so well.  It's like you are waiting for something bad to happen then you get all comfy and think "Phhewwww." Nothing needs to happen. 


And if something DOES it can be dealt with and not be a big deal.  It's that slow fade of blending in that you want so bad and when one or more struggles in the family you feel like it may never come. That it's hopeless.


But it isn't.  I can't say there's a miracle answer.Or miracle DAY. I can't say we aren't worried that certain issues we hope to address before our teens are adults may not happen.


 But for today, they are our kids, they are loved.  They know God. They are clean, fed, schooled and a bit spoiled.  They carry OUR name, not a random orphan name.  They are happy, as much as temperamental teens can be:)


We are blessed.  Deeply blessed to have grown our family with our 3 teen treasures and little Miss Kitty.  Soon we can add Miss Phoebe too:)  


Such wonderful sons and daughters. Unexpected treasures. Just waiting to bloom. I'm very thankful to be their momma.  To share in the joy of watching them grow. I feel sad for people who DON'T have the chance to parent these treasures. I think everyone should have this.  


It should be an epidemic.  163 MILLION orphans. Epidemic- spread adoption far and wide.  Wipe that number down to zip. Nada, nothing, ZERO.  Can you imagine it?  I can only guess how JOYFUL our God would be.  


None are unimportant.  All have a family that NEEDS them.  That's right, a family  that needs them, not they need a family--- I write it that way because they change you forever. For the good. Stretch you in ways you never thought possible. Give you the opportunity to love BLIND.  I never see "Chinese children" when looking or loving on my kids. They are my sons, my daughters.  We NEEDED them. God knew.


I wouldn't trade this for anything.  I want this to SPREAD:)


How 'bout it??

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful!

I was just thinking yesterday about how life with my teenager (adopted at 12) is finally starting to feel like the good days far outnumber the bad days. I was reflecting on the last two years, and what a stronger person I am now than I was before we adopted her. How this journey of adopting an older child has changed me forever, in ways I never imagined. The lows I experienced in the last 2 years are so much lower than I realized they would be. But the pride I have, and the love I feel, for my daughter are so much more powerful than I realized they would be. You're right, God has stretched me in ways I never imagined!

Sandy said...

I love our new daughter (adopted at 12 just 2 months ago). She is doing her best to spread this epidemic! She has been after us the past 2 weeks about adopting another older child from her orphanage. She is telling us all the reasons these kids (mostly girls) need homes (like aging out in 2 months, etc.) and what great kids they are and how little things like too little money (get a job, Mom!) or our house (split foyer) shouldn't limit us even from considering her one friend in a wheelchair. She wants a sibling, but I think she also wants to see more orphans in homes. She is asking me about her new friends and if they are adopted or are any of their siblings adopted. I think she is trying to grasp how many (or how few!) kids are former orphans. When I said, we couldn't get permission from the government to adopt a child in a wheelchair (because of our house & we can't afford to modify), she said, "what about our neighbors?!? Ask them (to adopt my friends)." She's right. Every kid deserves a family and you are also right, more families need one of these treasurers!

mom2three said...

My son also has a heart for the kids left behind. We adopted him almost 4 years ago at the age of 8. Recently a friend who is interested in adopting an older child asked if my son and I would visit them, because she wanted her husband, who is concerned about adopting an older child, to meet our son and see that older adoptions can work. When I asked my son if he'd be willing, he said yes, because he wanted to help some other child get a home. He was a great ambassador.