Sunday, May 1, 2011

A New Month, A NEW mood

Can I just say- WOW? I'm so touched by all the comments, offers, etc. It made me wish I had shared sooner, 'cause it was really something to read all your thoughts and remarks.



I am just blown away at your support and want to thank you all for the "kick in the butt" I needed.



I want you to know--- you are SOOOOO right.



It made me realize that this blog is doing what I set out for it to do. Honor God, help older kids get adopted and educate parents.



And by modifying, worrying, stopping, I would be glorifying the evil. And I am soooo not into giving the devil and his minions ANY glory or glee. Nope. Not a second of that happening. Mean people understand- I am a redhead. And picture of me and dad ( the one my mother hates with my tongue hanging out) that's for YOU. So there.


So I'm BACK............. and that's all the space I'm gonna waste on that- EVER.




Now to catch you up on our week-



We went to grandma's, or in the boys' case "grandmother, grandmama, grandmommy", for an egg hunt on Easter Sunday. The boys tested out names on daddy's mom, hence the numerous references to her. They also tried to drive her nuts climbing her trees, disturbing bird's nests, claiming they saw "pink" eggs in the bird's nest, acting as though they couldn't get a drink of water without grandma's help. Buggers. It's clearly something new and neat to them to have a grandma:)



Dad entertained said children when they found a dead groundhog under grandmother's porch ( watch out for her, she SHOT it a WEEK before) and they were able to pull it out of there. I think he is now their "hero?" They did want to know if we would "cook it?" Eishhhh. Not this momma, no way, not cooking no groundhog. I'll risk NOT being their hero:)



Speaking of cooking, I made a turkey on Thursday. I wanted to make it on Monday but "someone" (Chase) sees fit to put any meat I put out on the counter BACK in the fridge for me, meaning it took me days to get it to thaw with his "help."



So on Thursday the kids came tromping on home at 9:30 am due to a power outage at school. And the first thing out of their mouths was "what's for lunch?" Insert huge GROAN from mother. Then Chance wanted to know what he could do to "help" so out came the turkey. And I told him he could stuff it. Well, you gotta understand how grossed out he was- stuffing bread in a "chicken butt?"



Who ever thought that up anyway? It is kinda gross when you think about it. There's also the issue of the neck and other "parts" that come in that lovely baggy thing that I am always grossed out by and the kids were appalled that I normally throw that away as fast as possible. No more of that. That neck is the prize the teens fight over who gets it. It gets boiled with the other "parts" in with noodles now, and we wouldn't dream of wasting it.



Although I will draw the line at the neck and "parts"- sadly for the children, we will not have chicken feet or the cooked head on our table any time soon. They can't understand that either, why does our chicken and turkey come without the head or feet? Nothing like that in Ch*na, they waste NOTHING.



In other "food news" I went to work on Thursday so I did ask the kids to save me a little of the turkey. They were shocked to learn that I go to work at 4:30pm- 8:30 pm and never eat, yeah, 4 whole hours:) As if I could starve to death. Ha ha.



So Chloe wanted to go to her BFF's Friday and I told her she could as long as she behaved this week. So when I got home Thursday evening she had food saved just for me and a piece of paper and pen waiting for me to write her note to go home on the bus with Hannah. I asked her "Are you trying to butter me up?" And she said " Oh mother, I would never put butter on you, I love you." Okay then. She clearly didn't get that saying?



Chase participated in a car wash fundraiser yesterday, he has never washed a car so that was a new thing for him. He said it was "very easy" and he had fun.



The weather has gotten nicer, the kids were thrilled to pull out some shorts to wear this week. And Chloe got her beloved flip flops out:)



Looking forward to May and the wonderful blessings we have and share within this family. And VERY HAPPY to be BACK!!!! Full speed AHEAD------------

12 comments:

Grandma Shelley said...

Vickie,
You guys ROCK! I am so glad that you are going to follow your heart....and not let anyone else dictate what you do! You are doing a fabulous job...and I LOVE reading your blog. Keep up the awesome job!!

Corlia said...

jippee :-)

sunflowermom said...

Go Vickie, Go!

Lisa

Nancy said...

I am happy you are back, too. With all the rain we have had it April, we better have some amazing flowers in May. Right?

Laura said...

Thanks for continuing to share with us all!! You are awesome and God is doing wonderful things through you!

Jerry and Christy said...

Vickie,
So happy your back. I love the saying from Chloe that she'd never butter you. So cute:)

Kathy said...

Vickie,
I am so happy you aren't letting
the mean spirited comments. Stop
you from sharing.

Lara said...

So glad you're back! In the craziness of our life, I didn't get to comment on the previous posting. I NEED the life-line of your blog! When our four walls are caving in on me, I reach out to laugh and cry with your family. Reading your blog makes me feel like we might just be normal around here!

Thanks for loving your kiddos, sharing your story, and advocating to bring more home into their forever families!

Julie said...

Glad you decided to come back. Love your family and your posts.

Joan said...

So glad. Reading your blog encourages me since we struggle with many of the same things you do. I read your blog and feel like I can go on for another day!!

AprilM said...

Vickie, you have a special story to tell with these kids, I'm glad I can still hear it! I adopted both my kids from China at the age of 2 1/2 - my son just last year. I enjoyed reading your journey last year as it was so close to my own - although we were able to go to China in March and you had to wait until ... May I think?

We've also struggled this past year with the family dynamic and I remember wondering how you guys were doing and then you posted about RAD. Again, it seemed we were following a similar path. We've been working hard the past six months to help both kids find their 'place' and feel secure - an attachment workshop, may books on positive discipline and now an 8 week long parenting class. All info that has been great for my husband and I so we work to be the best we can be for these precious kids of ours that we were blessed with. It is HARD work. Harder than I ever imagined but it makes the highs that much more worth it when I see them prosper and excel.

Little by little, they're turning around as I learn new ways to engage with my kids. It's never too late to learn new skills! I'm so glad you're going to continue to blog and am excited to see our paths parallel down this blessed road.

Smitheroni said...

You are my favorite internet Mom so I am glad you pushed the nay-sayers aside. I have been following your blog since you brought Chloe home (it caught my eye as we also have a Chance). We are now in the process of adopting a 6 year old and I credit your blog for teaching and inspiring us in our journey.

J.