Sunday, May 23, 2010

Translation Sunday


Our translators showed up today. Both a guy and gal. College students, just 19 and 20 so not too much older than the kids. And Chloe already knows both so the boys saw her comfort with speaking to them and were very open with them.

Both boys want to have their one ear pierced, just like Cam and dad. I told them that was fine. They also understand I don't like crew cuts but I am not expecting them to sport hair long enough to braid either:) They do not need to have their heads shaved, they don't even realize this yet as they are so used to it being the norm for orphanage care.

I did break it to Chance that we do not expect him to work to eat. Chloe told me yesterday at the picnic he was doing little jobs for me because he thought he had to in order to be fed. As much as the evil me wanted to let that go a little longer, I had our friends tell him we are very glad he so helpful but he will be fed no matter if he is helpful or not. And food will always be here as well. It would have just been WRONG to know he thought that and not tell him. Just wrong:) He is still being as helpful as ever, he's a really sweet boy.

The translators said the kids are having the same issues that Chloe had, understanding everyone is equal here to us and fitting in with Cam. But that the kids were working it out and they understood we see them all as our children, none more important than the others. It's just going to take time for them to believe it.

Poor Miss Kitty, she was not happy when the translators were here and she was sharing a few things the boys have taught her like "school" in Chinese then when they were all chattering away she said to me "I don't speak Chinese, I don't think I'm really Chinese." I reassured her she sure was and she was even learning more Chinese than anyone since she spoke Cantonese when she came home to us.

One of our translators gave me "heads up" on an English class being held by the local college for the summer by a Chinese teacher. A perfect set up to help the boys. Their language is being delayed due to the Chinese speaking with Chloe, although they are much more willing to speak than she was at this point home. It amazes me how verbal they are, they do not hesitate to try to tell me what they want even if they have to end up showing me. And I hear" Mama, mama" constantly, every time I walk in a room Chance is in he never fails to say "Ni Hao Mama."

The boys called the "aunties" last evening and talked for about an hour. They were surprised when Chloe whipped out her life book to show me kids they were talking about to the aunties, and I pulled out THEIR life books I had started. They gave me the "thumbs up:)" and I was happy they could see we cared enough about them to make them books of their lives as well.
I was saddened when they were telling me of their friends, one who has a vision issue and is 9 years old, one that has albinism and is 12 (listed with HOLT) and another boy (unsure of his age) that so badly want to have families. They wanted US to go back for them, but we can not, I assured them we will advocate and try to find them a family. It's heartbreaking to know these children are just as precious as our sons and they sit there day after day hoping it will be soon they learn that a family wants THEM.
Of course, I forgot to ask the translator one thing- we can't figure out why their teacher taught the kids to say "WC" when they need to use the bathroom. All we can think of was it was supposed to be "I have to pee?" We are puzzled as to what she could have meant? Any other ideas?

15 comments:

kim2649 said...

I don't think I have commented before, but I have been reading your story since just before you went to China to pick up Chloe. What a wonderful journey you are all on and I am so happy the boys are home. I think that WC stands for 'water closet'. From Merriam-Webster:
Main Entry: water closet
Function: noun
Date: 1755

1 : a compartment or room with a toilet
2 : a toilet bowl and its accessories

Ta said...

Hi, Ive been following your story for a month now. I was adopted myself and I think you're a one of a kind amazing family.

As for the WC, in England and a lot of the old colonial world WC stood for Water Closet, and was considered a politer way to say "bathroom". Strange but true!

Susan said...

Hi, British English for water closet- bathroom/toilet
Love your blog.
Susan,solo mom to 2 fromChina

Kristy said...

Precious!

Patty said...

Yes, WC---water closet as others have said. Our daughter did that too (came home last summer, age 14). She would give me the WC signal with her hand to tell me usually--instead of saying it outloud. It looked like an "OK" as a hand signal only the thumb and index finger were not closed together. If that makes sense.....LOL....ok, last three fingers sticking straight up, first two fingers making a C shape... WC.....LOL!!!

CherryBomb2 said...

W C is a British expression ...it means Water Closet ... which is their way or refering to the toilet. I am not sure why an American teacher would be using that term when instructing youngster from China. But when in Rome ....! LOL !

JC

CherryBomb2 said...

W C is a British Term referring to a Water Closet. That's what some in England use when referring to the Toilet.

Wht and American Teacher would be using that term when teaching English to Youngsters from China ...I cannot even guess !

JC

Barbara A. said...

Yep, as others have said, water closet. I saw WC alot in Hong Kong (Brit influence), and I think I remember seeing it in Beijing.

So glad you were able to make progress with the 2 translators and the kids.

Enjoying reading your blog - we have 4 from China, in 1997 we adopted a 13.11 yo girl along with an 18 month old boy. So, I can relate to the older child issues, and the adopting 2 at once issues.

Barbara in CT

Michele said...

I want to comment that I love following your blog! I think you should put it all together into a book. What an experience you have had!

Jennifer said...

Please post pics when the boys get their ears pierced. ; )

Ruth Marie said...

Gald you guys are doing well. WC does mean water closet. As for why this was taught will all english classes are taught by set lesson that dont always make seance but the english teachers have to teach what the lesson say even if it is not always nomal for us. I work at a home that has a english study school attacted for collage age students and I have seen this quit a bit and asked.

DBK said...

WC is the british way of saying toilet.

Jonathan and Michelle said...

Yep, used to live in the UK, it's Water Closet...there is no such thing as "bathroom" in the UK... and UK English is what children around the world learn....

Mike and Barb said...

And the term "WC" is not just used in England, but in Switzterland as well :-))
Barb (who grew up there!)

Diana said...

From one CCAI family to another-thank you for sharing your incredible story.

I just wanted to say that the thought of the boy with albinism (well, really all the kids) who wants a family and has been waiting brought tears to my eyes. All my boys (2 home and one waiting) have albinism and are perfect! If you know of a family who is interested but has questions about albinism, I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Thanks again for sharing your family story, it is simply amazing.

Diana
www.youbelong.net/themccowns