Saturday, February 23, 2008

Kat's not feeling well

Poor Kat. It is soooo obvious when she does not feel well. She is just pitiful looking. Fever for 2 day, runny nose. The only time we saw a smile is when she was told to climb in our bed, she loves to snuggle in our bed. Camden is saying his throat hurts too. Yuck. The 2 sickies are asleep in our bed now, after fussing about how awful they felt.

The baby is doing well, he is getting settled in nicely. We have nurses coming now to relieve me some nights and it is helping tremendously. Also his mommy was invited by us to come and spend the night with him. She made the neatest comment, that we are "tag team parenting" him. So true. She is such a special person to allow us to share in the blessing of her son. We love him dearly and her as well.
The baby has all his "equipment" for his care and his crib downstairs and the nurses that come at night are downstairs with him. I stay on the couch the nights I have him, to minimize the disruption to the household with his crying. Not that he cries so much as grunts, we call him the angry squirrel and laugh when he gets started with that "ruuuunnnttt, ruuuuunt, ruuuunttt, that tells us he is gearing up to cry. He usually doesn't get to the cry unless someone in the house doesn't get to him, that's pretty unusual with all of us available to coddle him. He is stable presently and GROWING, right out of that preemie stuff he went, to size 1 diapers! Almost 2 pounds on him since he came here.
Camden dealt with his need for understanding today of Mr. T's condition. Our conversation went like this-

Camden- "mom is he my brother?"

Mom- "yes"

Camden- "my real brother"

Mom "yes, we don't have any fake people here :)"

Camden- " I wish he didn't have to die"

Mom "Well, he wasn't supposed to live when he was born but he did, so every day we have him to hold, kiss and love is a blessing and a special gift."

Camden- "what happens if he dies in your arms?"

Mom- (thinking Please God give me strength if that happens) "I will kiss him, hold him, say goodbye, and know that he is an angel baby with God."

Camden- "He'll be the cutest angel baby, huh?"
Mom "For sure, for sure!"

Gosh I love my kids so much. Camden is such a caring and sweet little guy, he is is so gentle and good with Mr. T. All my kids are very caring and loving, I feel so blessed to know that.

Jay wrote from Basic Training asking for us to write to a buddy of his that gets no mail. So we are doing that, along with having sent the "hidden chocolate" box and waiting of word if we got past the meanies. I placed cookies in the box in the open hoping they would not search the tissue box we hid chocolate bars in by taping them to the bottom and back, then reglued the flap. Even if they caught them, he is 9 th in the Batallion for his physical agility so I think a few 100 push ups or so are not going to kill him and imagine how yummy that chocolate will be!

I have a SUPER friend, Kathy, who allowed me to get a break this past week. After knowing I had a court hearing for C- he's with us another 5 months- then a school meeting for H- learning support is now in place, I was in need of a hair cut and errand time. Kathy came in, swallowed her squemishness over the baby's feeding tube, sent me on my way, calls me in the middle of my haircut to ask for bleach to which I told her- Kat is meant to be yellow, she will not turn white for anything- ha ha- and she promptly replied, "I'm going to feed it to the kids, give up the bleach location and GOODBYE!" So as I considered abandoning my hair halfway, I decided to trust her and off I went to complete my shopping of a new outfit for my meetings, b-day gifts for my mom and Brandon, mailing Jay's precious chocolate box, etc. It was so strange to run in and out of places and not be taking a child, " come on Kat, hurry up Kat, it's cold, the baby is crying, get buckled in car seat Kat" and her saying "I do it" then it taking 10 minutes for her to "do it". AHHHH- I was in shock and I think was talking to myself, I got some weird looks aimed my way.
So after another phone call that I forgot to tell hubby and friend both that hubby comes home for lunch and friend told hubby- "hi there, we are doing wife swap, I'm your new wife" to which he was not amused- gotta love her sense of humor though. I arrived home to find my 2 kiddos happy, fed, changed, my kitchen CLEANED and even my dog was happy. WOW- this place doesn't fall apart without me. Talk about a NEEDED break. Best of all I learned to let go, let someone else come in and just be thankful for the help, enjoy my time away and she was so good to help me. I thnak her from the bottom of my heart. She is even planning to come every week- WOW and give me a free day each week. What a friend. She is also a foster parent, a good one too, she is so caring. She takes mainly teens but wanted to see if she would feel comfortable with a baby or young child with a medical issue, so if the need ever arises.

I paid her back in Truffles, I wanted to get her Bon Bon's as we have this standing joke that the teens we foster always seem to think we lay in bed till noon and eat Bon Bon's, as they were telling each other that Kath and I "sleep in till 10 sometimes!!" Oh my, how awful, huh? They don't tell you that I worked until 3 am, or Kath was up worrying half the night about them, they just like to make it sound like we are bums. Part of taking in teens. They love to make DRAMA> so we tease each other now about sleeping in the longest and eating Bon Bons. She loved the Truffles though. She really said she loved helping, it made her feel useful, and I was so glad to have her. My deepest thanks to you, Kath, you are a true friend. There when I need you, even when I didn't think I did so badly, but after going out and feeling so much better after I realized I did need you to come, thanks for bullying me to accept the help.
Time for the baby's feeding, so off I go.

1 comment:

Andie said...

I'm sorry your little ones are sick. My little one (Andrew) has that persistent cough, but the rest of my little ones are healthy, for now. My big one (hubby) is the sicky...just out of it and not feeling well. He's been this way for about 2 weeks, but being a typical man he refuses to go to the doctor.
So glad you have a good friend to come give you a break! Everyone needs a break now and then. I'm going on wives retreat this weekend, that's my break...can't wait!

Blessings on your week-Andie